Wednesday 30 June 2021

Lapsana communis subsp. intermedia

So the excitement this week, while out on a work survey at South Hetton (VC66) with aspiring ecologist Harriet Duffield*, was this non-native form of Nipplewort (Lapsana communis subsp. intermedia). I don't know who was more excited, me or Harriet**. The BSBI database shows that it has been recorded from the county previously, but this is a new hectad.

It stands out with its large bright golden flowers (I was expecting it to be a hawkweed), but it also has very distinct foliage. I see that Stace 4 has dropped mention of the lateral lobes on the leaves being nearly as wide as the terminal lobe, which is mentioned in other sources. Even so, when compared with subsp. communis, the leaves are very distinct. I was also interested to see that some plants are completely glabrous, while others have either hairy stems and leaves, or just hairy leaves.





subsp. intermedia on  the left, subsp. communis on the right



* That's for saying that you would never get a mention on my blog! And yes I do know that's not how you spell inspiring.

** Ok I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment