Wednesday 31 August 2016

Kippax & Great Preston (VC64)

A couple of quick pics from this weekends stroll in search of Rosa x irregularis (found!).

I seemed to hit Townclose Hill (Billy Wood) just right this year for the Autumn Gentians (Gentianella amarella subsp. amarella). It was nice to catch them at peak bloom.


Back along The Lines I strayed into an adjacent arable field, I can't resist this habitat as there is always hope of finding a rarity. My luck was in and I was rewarded by a plant that was new to me, this being Niger (Guizotia abyssinica).


Coming back through Water Haigh Woodland Park in Woodlesford (VC63), I was also lucky to find a fine plant of Large-toothed Hawkweed (Hieracium prominentidens), which by the standards of the genus is a doddle to ID and one anyone should be able tackle with confidence. My photos were abysmal so check it out in Yorkshire Hawkweeds. If you don't own a copy yet, buy it while you can as it is written for those only just starting to dabble their toes into the wonderful world of Hawkweeds. A wonderful and well illustrated book.



No comments:

Post a Comment