Sunday 14 June 2015

"It is not the business of the botanist to eradicate the weeds. Enough for him if he can tell us just how fast they grow." (C. Northcote Parkinson)

While I get into this blogging lark, I thought I would revisit a few finds from 2014. I found this purple curiosity in Garforth, Yorkshire on a trip to my favourite local nursery (Millrace Nursery, sadly no longer trading after this year). Purple Greater Plantain (Plantago major ssp. major 'Rubrifolia'), a horticultural selection, grows true from seed and has vigorously colonised the lawns and borders of the gardens at Millrace. I wasn't entirely comfortable recording it as a "wild" plant from the gardens (although I would have had no similar qualms with regard to its wild relative), but I soon found it escaped over the garden fence in the adjacent pasture and farmyard making it fair game.



No comments:

Post a Comment